Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Yummy in my Tummy

Recently Alex and I were with our good friends, the Rexfords, and they asked about how the cooking has been going since we've been married. Of course, I looked at him to answer, and he just smiled and said it's been good. Now I know he was just trying to be a good husband, but I knew he was getting a little bored with my "go-to" meals. He has been so sweet and really hasn't said a word about it, but I knew how he really felt!

I really didn't cook a whole lot at home, well really at all. I started cooking more when I lived in an apartment, but during school we always had the caf so I didn't cook all that much. But now, it's something I have to get used to! I actually enjoy it for the most part, but I needed to expand my menu to say the least. 

So I got online and started looking for relatively easy recipes. I think I'm going to try at least 1 new recipe a week. This week I tried a 7-Layer Mexican Pie and Capellini with Asparagus and Bacon. The Capellini actually called for pancetta, but I couldn't find any at the store so it said I could use bacon instead. Alex didn't like the pasta as much as I did, but he loved the Mexican Pie. So I thought I would share the recipes for that.



7-Layer Mexican Pie
2 cans pinto beans - rinsed and drained
1 cup Pace Picante Sause
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 can black beans- rinsed and drained
1 small tomato - chopped
7 flour tortillas
8 oz. Shredded Cheese

Also have 2 medium sized bowls out to mix in, a cooking sheet, and set the oven to 400 degrees. 

1. In bowl 1, mash the pinto beans with a fork. Stir in 3/4 cup of picante sauce and the minced garlic.
2.  In bowl 2, mix the picante sauce, cilantro, black beans, and tomato. I also added some cooked ground beef into the mixture. 
3. Put one tortilla down on a cooking sheet. Spread an even layer of the pinto bean mixture on the tortilla within 1/2 in of the edge. Top with cheese. Add another tortilla and a layer of the black bean mixture and add some cheese. Repeat 2 more times and top the last tortilla with the rest of the pinto bean mixture.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degree for about 35-40 minutes. Uncover and top with cheese. Cut into 6 wedges and serve with some extra sauce, sour cream, and some tortilla chips!

It's pretty easy to make and I think it's one of Alex's new favorites! Hope you all try it out and enjoy!


Just wanted to add this picture of a pretty sunset we had here on our way home one night. Hope it brightens your day and reminds you of how awesome our God is. 

2 comments:

  1. YUM YUM!! Sorry I didn't show you more about cooking when you were at home but you seem to be doing pretty well already! I am going to need to take lessons from you as I know your Dad gets pretty bored with my cooking too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to try this one. We should all trade recipes because I just do my go to meals as well.

    ReplyDelete